At NOVA Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Associates, our team of caring, compassionate and talented pulmonary specialists are here to help. Our team is well versed in pulmonology, a special discipline within medicine that focuses on the health and function of the respiratory system and all of its individual components. From asthma and bronchitis, to emphysema and COPD, we’ll help you feel better today.
- Dr. Aditya N Dubey offers some of the best care in the Northern Virginia region.
- Stone Springs Hospital Center in Dulles, VA is one of our highly rated hospitals to care for patients .
- An affordable solution, accepting all insurance. We do not refuse treatment for any patient.
- Rated a top pulmonologist by patients online.
- Close proximity to nearby Steven F. Udvar Hazy Center
What is a Pulmonologist?
Also known as a pulmonary doctor, pulmonary specialist, or lungs specialist, pulmonologists are concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of a broad range of respiratory conditions and diseases.
Respiratory Disorders Our Dulles Team Has Expertise in Include:
- Infectious diseases
- Structural abnormalities
- Inflammatory issues
- Neoplastic (tumors)
- Autoimmune disorders
- And more…
Lung conditions often present in such a way that they mimic other conditions such as heart issues. As such, pulmonologists often work in conjunction with cardiologists when coming up with a proper diagnosis.
What Types of Pulmonary Specialties are There?
Pulmonology is a complex discipline that often requires further specialization in order to provide superior treatment and care.
Subspecialties of Pulmonology Include:
- Interstitial lung disease – dealing with diseases of the lungs marked by chronic inflammation and scar tissue
- Interventional pulmonology –takes a multidisciplinary approach to treat those disorders affecting the airway (such as pleural diseases and lung cancer).
- Lung transplantation – preoperative and postoperative support and care
- Neuromuscular disease – deals with those conditions brought about as a result of respiratory muscle failure
- Obstructive – this specialty involves those conditions where the airway is narrowed or obstructed
- sleep-Disordered Breathing – a multidisciplinary specialty that deals with breathing disorders that are connected to sleep disorders.
Conditions Pulmonologists are Capable of Treating
The caring team of pulmonary doctors at NOVA Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Associates are highly experienced and well-equipped to treat a broad range of pulmonary disorders including but not limited to:
- Shortness of breath
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD)
- Pleural effusion
- Allergic rhinitis
- Lung cancer screening
- Lung cancer
- Lung nodules
- Interstitial lung disease
- Hypoxia (low oxygen levels)
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Occupational lung disease
- Preoperative pulmonary clearance
- Pre-employment pulmonary evaluation
How can a Pulmonologist Help?
Our dedicated and caring pulmonologists help patients in and around the Dulles, VA area who are facing chronic, debilitating and often serious breathing problems. Although primary care physicians are often a good option for short term conditions such as respiratory infections and even asthma, they are not well equipped or trained to handle serious and often complex lung conditions.
If you or a loved one has been suffering from respiratory problems, an accurate diagnosis is the first step, and our highly trained and experienced pulmonary specialists are the team to help. Once a diagnosis has been determined, your pulmonary doctor will create a tailored treatment plan just for you.
When is Seeing a Pulmonologist Appropriate?
Simple coughs, allergies and non-life threatening or chronic conditions should generally be treated or examined first by either your primary care physician or urgent care.
However, if you are experiencing chronic, worsening or persistent respiratory issues it may be time to see one of our pulmonologists for assistance.
Below are some common symptoms that may be indicative of pulmonary issues:
- Chronic fatigue
- Chest pain or tightness
- Lightheadedness, dizziness or fainting
- Difficulty breathing (especially during physical activities)
- Uncontrolled asthma
- And more…
How do Pulmonary Doctors Diagnose Disorders?
At our Dulles clinic, a caring and talented pulmonologist will talk you step by step through the process and what to expect, making sure you are comfortable at every step of the way.
Their first objective will be to begin the diagnostic process with a thorough review of your medical and family history, with a special focus on any diseases that affect the lungs (such as cystic fibrosis). They will also take into consideration environmental exposures such as air quality or pollution concerns in the workplace.
After a full understanding of family history, environmental exposure and symptoms have been obtained, your pulmonary doctor will likely perform a physical exam in order to potentially uncover other disorders or issues that may be contributing to your pulmonary complaints.
It is not uncommon for pulmonologist to work in concert with other specialists on your case (such as cardiologists) in order to obtain a complete and accurate diagnostic picture of the state of your lungs.
What Types of Tests will I Need to Have?
Your pulmonologist may recommend a number of tests based on the results of your initial consultation, history, symptoms and physical exam.
Tests that may be Used to Diagnose Pulmonary Disorders Include:
- Blood tests
- Pulmonary function tests
- Chest X-rays
- Spirometry of maximum airflow
- CT scan
- Sleep Studies (polysomnography)
Why Choose NOVA Pulmonary?
Our Dulles based team is dedicated to the practice of pulmonology and helping improve the lives of our patients. Our talented physicians and medical staff are both caring and knowledgeable, ready to use the latest and best technology and approaches for diagnosis, treatment and care.
Click here or reach out to us today to learn more about our clinic, learn about our sleep doctors, and why so many Dulles, VA residents trust us to care for them and their families.